Anne Roth via nettime-l on Sat, 20 Jul 2024 14:45:20 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> EU wealth tax petition

Hi all,

I recently found out that there is something like EU wide petitions and one of those that are currently going on is asking for "a European wealth tax to finance the social and climate transition and help countries hit by climate change."

https://www.tax-the-rich.eu/

I can see a whole range of more abstract debates about the effects of petitions, of wealth taxes or focus on tax at all, and of course everyone's welcome to plunge into those.

My goal, in this case, was campaigning and the need for signatures from all EU member states and so I thought sharing the information with you might help to reach out beyond borders.

== *The petition* ==

This petition was started, among others, by Marlène Engelhorn (Austria), a millionaire by inheritance who's giving most of her money away but would prefer a proper tax, and Thomas Piketty (France).
https://www.tax-the-rich.eu/home#organisers

These petitions need a certain threshold from all member states and that's really hard to achieve, for obvious reasons. You need active campaigns in all countries.

Currently some countries have reached the threshold of signatures (France, Germany), some are close (Belgium, Denmark).

In others it seems hardly anyone knows.

Austria		19,81% of necessary signatures
Bulgaria 	0.94%
Croatia		2.48%
Cyprus		1.51%
Czechia		0.91%
Estonia		1,32%
Finland		15,31%
Greece		8.74%
Hungary		3.18%
Ireland		5.64%
Italy		46.39%
Latvia		1.60%
Lithuania	1.99%
Luxembourg	14.68%
Malta		0.85%
Netherlands	36.37%
Poland		1.90%
Portugal	3.49%
Romania		4.06%
Slovakia	22.74%
Slovenia	27.82%
Spain		18.40%
Sweden		8.98%

(20 July 2024)
https://citizens-initiative.europa.eu/initiatives/details/2023/000006_en

Often that's not a lot of signatures that are needed, but then the population size is sometimes not huge either.

And so, if you think this is a good idea, please spread the news about this petition in your networks and communities or even families and neighborhoods!

== *More information* ==

There's information in all languages here
https://eci.ec.europa.eu/038/public/#/screen/home and
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_3741

The proper website in six major languages https://www.tax-the-rich.eu

== *Press coverage* ==

https://elpais.com/economia/2023-06-15/sumar-quiere-mas-impuestos-para-las-grandes-empresas-y-los-ricos-cuanto-pagan-es-mas-o-menos-que-en-europa.html#
https://www.liberation.fr/economie/taxation-des-riches-dans-lue-quand-il-y-a-une-volonte-politique-quand-meme-on-peut-y-arriver-20230607_JUF26EXYRFED7ATJ6WJGBWHADQ/
https://www.labournet.de/politik/eu-politik/wipo-eu/europaeische-buergerinitiative-tax-the-rich-reiche-gerecht-besteuern-klimaschutz-sozial-gestalten/

More detail: https://www.tax-the-rich.eu/home#faq

== *Share* ==

If you like to share on social media, you're very welcome to copy, adapt, translate these posts:

https://systemli.social/@anneroth/112814974892870580 (EN)
https://systemli.social/@anneroth/112814222600291890 (DE)

https://mastodon.social/@HistoPol/112815159663135608 (someone else in Spanish)

https://bsky.app/profile/anneroth.bsky.social/post/3kxnyyr75qs23 (EN)
https://bsky.app/profile/anneroth.bsky.social/post/3kxnof3nb2a2d (DE)

https://www.threads.net/@4nneroth/post/C9noeT5M6lU (EN)
https://www.threads.net/@4nneroth/post/C9nKXMdsv-- (DE)

https://x.com/Anne_Roth/status/1814635280608997571 (EN)

If anyone has more talent than me in creating nice graphics for Instagram and the like: Very welcome.

Cheers,
Anne